add message to a "miss" call

WitteChoco

add message to a "miss" call

Post by WitteChoco »

Sometimes it can get really frustrating if you're trying really hard to hit an object ball and get called a miss time after time.

My suggestion is that when your opponent misses the object ball, a message pops up with a slight explanation. Something like: "if you feel your opponent really tried to hit the object ball, you might consider not calling the miss".

Especially at club level, I feel the spirit of the game sometimes gets ruined by miss after miss causing you to lose a frame.

What do others think about this?

MRaja

Re: add message to a "miss" call

Post by MRaja »

Hi WitteChoco,

I remember this similar topic coming up last year from the late Keith (Best_Peace) who wasn't happy about being replaced multiple times in a frame. It's a tough topic and one which needs more discussion.

My honest take on this is that it's absolutely fine as it is but I understand why a new player or a player with a lower level of skill will not agree with my opinion.

You're asking to show a message to the non-offender to consider his decision after his opponent's attempt. Unfortunately, people will not take that message seriously as they're still shown 3 options (play on, make opponent play on or make opponent retake the shot). I've played all types of characters in my snooker gaming years where some never replace me, even though they played an amazing snooker. Some always replaced me, even if they fluked a snooker. Some would only replace if there wasn't a pot on. Everyone just thinks differently, so I don't think a message would make a difference. I, myself will replace against a highly skilled opponent and I'll be more generous to a lower skilled opponent. It just depends.

This is where it gets tricky...
In real life, the referee can decide not to call a miss if the offender made a very good attempt at escaping from a really tough snooker, but it's not always the case. It all depends on the situation. A call like that will most likely not happen in a tense stage of a world championship final but is more likely to happen in the first frame of a quarter final. I feel that is because it's less controversial if the offender goes on to win the world championship final after the referee decided not to call a miss. There are so many factors.

Now, judging such scenarios is easier for an unbiased human referee. Your opponent will most likely take the decision which favours himself/herself.

In my experience, the higher level players don't complain about this because at most, it takes them about 4-5 attempts to escape a really tough snooker. They escape most snookers with just one attempt. I advise you to practice snooker escapes. Yes, there will be some snookers that are very tough to escape and will require multiple attempts but it'll get easier over time with more experience.

I will discuss this subject further with the team and see if there's anything we can do to improve this part of the game.

Thanks for your post :)