Anywhere in the `D`?

Discuss anything...
ZORRO

Anywhere in the `D`?

Post by ZORRO »

So, your opponent goes in off, you can now play from anywhere in the `D`.
Assuming there`s no reds baulk side of the table,
Why can`t you give yourself a `Freeball` behind the yellow, green or brown?
Just a thought... :D

SquaredCue

Re: Anywhere in the `D`?

Post by SquaredCue »

Good idea! However, the official rules cover that situation very thoroughly. When the cue ball is pocketed (or jumps off the table in real snooker), a free ball is called by the referee if and only if all the balls that are on are snookered from all positions from within the "D". That is, if you can find any spot for the white ball where a red (or the ball on) is not snookered, the referee will not call a free ball.

The beauty of this rule is that it is very difficult to check this condition from program code. I know SnookerQ does this check correctly anyway but it took several unique ideas and a lot of source code to implement it! I wonder if there is any other snooker game that does this correctly.

For example, if the reds are on the black/pink side of the table and the six colours are on the baulk line from yellow spot to green spot, equi-distant from each other, it is a free ball because the white ball cannot pass between them. However, if you move one of the colours a tiny bit, the white can pass through the enlarged gap and consequently it is not a free ball. You can try this in practice mode with SnookerQ, it will always produce the right call: "Foul (and a Miss), Free Ball" or only "Foul (and a Miss)".

ZORRO

Post by ZORRO »

That`s why we love SnookerQ....so accurate. :D

Wizard

Post by Wizard »

ZORRO wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:32 pm
That`s why we love SnookerQ....so accurate. :D
Ditto. Far more accurate than any other online snooker game I have played.