Snooker Stars and their contracts

Discuss anything...
Wizard

Snooker Stars and their contracts

Post by Wizard »

What do you guys think of this article?
https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/19/ryan-day ... -19678995/

I don't follow these guys a lot, but I have watched YouTube clips of the great snooker games over the years, and I have always thought that like in any sport you should follow the money because your sporting career can be quite short.

Quote from this article "The problem that WST had with the event was that it was running at the same time as the Northern Ireland Open, feeling that a string of top stars choosing an exhibition over a ranking tournament would damage the reputation of the Belfast competition."

What I read into that is like a lot of other sports (golf,cricket,football) these guys are taking the opportunity to set themselves up for later on in life whilst they are still at their peak in the sport. Alternatively, they may be past their peak but the money on offer is better in one tournament than it is in another.

I don't think it has anything to do with the "reputation" of the tournament I think it's about money and sometimes a little time away from the spotlight of major tournaments. Like any professional these guys need their quiet time too.

Thoughts?

Juggernaut

Re: Snooker Stars and their contracts

Post by Juggernaut »

In my opinion, I am with the Macau five. Only a handful of players get decent pay if they do well, so obviously they would take advantage of a chance to make more money. The Hearns are raking in millions, of course they are going to complain about some of their stars not being involved in the Northern Ireland Open. Eddie Heard sold major British boxing fights to Saudi Arabia for all that extra money. It's alright when they do it.
Barry Hearn has stepped aside a bit and Eddie is not interested in Snooker, so he's not going to have anything to do with snooker in the future. We need snooker in better hands for it to grow worldwide.

Like you said, sporting careers are very short at the top level. The top level is where the money is. Ronnie attracts the most viewers and he's missing events so often now because the prize money is just not worth it. He could make a killing doing exhibition events around the world.

ZORRO

Post by ZORRO »

Just heard Ronnie might retire, because the governing body don't like the amount of time he plays in China where the big money is.
I don`t see a problem with Ronnie picking and choosing what tournaments he does and doesn't enter. Hearn is making millions, so if he wants the top players in the lesser tournaments, then he should up the prize money, and have great venues as China do, otherwise more top players will spend more time away from the UK.

Rappers

Post by Rappers »

Like most things in life there are two sides to this story. Ok the 'big boys' get lucrative offers to play in exhibition games. Not that Ronnie O'Sullivan, et al, are short of a bob or two, but I can't blame them for accepting the invitation and money on offer either.

On the other hand, snooker sponsors want to see the top players in the comps they sponsor. It brings bums on seats and tv audiences increase which helps with advertising.

So, the snooker authorities have not banned the top players from playing in overseas invitation events. What really got their noses was the comp was originally scheduled to coincide with the N. Ireland open. I think it was fair and reasonable to ask for the invitation event to be re-scheduled, which of course it was - job done.