Favourite "real" snooker player of your lifetime

Discuss anything...
Wizard

Favourite "real" snooker player of your lifetime

Post by Wizard »

I'm turning 65 next month so I could name a few here and I will.

Right now, and for the past 26 years or so I would have to say Ronnie O'Sullivan. Not purely because of that 147 he nailed in record time but that was the thing that made me sit up and go wow this guy's good. He's gone on to prove it many times, as we all know I'm sure.

Before that I probably would have said Alex Higgins or Jimmy White (I like the risk takers).

The first guy I really followed in snooker was of course an Aussie named Eddie Charlton when the Pot Black series was in full swing on TV making the game far more popular overseas than it previously had been. I had the pleasure of beating Eddie in a challenge tournament back in the 70's and I have never forgotten how gracefully he took being defeated by a cocky teenager who just went for his shots much as I do now.

I love them all really but special mentions to Mark Williams who pulls out some ridiculous shots, John Higgins who is the best long double player I ever saw and Steve Davis who I never really got into in his heyday, but is a great entertainer when he's doing his trick shot exhibitions. Stephen Hendry, I know holds so many records, but I found him boring to watch and his latest YouTube videos with past and present players are not much better.

So, for all time I have to say Ronnie. Who's your favourite? Please don't say Peter Ebdon, I have a rope and a chair ready every time I watch one of his matches...

Juggernaut

Re: Favourite "real" snooker player of your lifetime

Post by Juggernaut »

My earliest memories of real snooker were in the 90's. My dad was a big follower of snooker, so I'd watch matches with him. My favourite player at the time was Mark Williams. The match with the legendary re-spotted black against Stephen Hendry in the 1998 Masters Final was incredible! I was also a huge fan of Jimmy White, Tony Drago and Ronnie O'Sullivan. Basically, the flashy players.

Later on, I also became a fan of Stephen Lee because of his incredible cue action and unique spin shots, Mark Selby because of his persistence and grit, Ding Junhui because of his journey from being a shy teenager into becoming a superstar and Judd Trump for his power and style.

My favourite player of all time is Ronnie O'Sullivan for his consistency over several decades. He just doesn't disappoint. The entertainment he has brought to us in the last 30 years will not be matched. 7 World Championship titles, 7 Masters and 7 UK Championships. He holds the record of 39 ranking titles. Also, 1000+ centuries, fastest 147 of all time, funny interviews, controversies, walking out against Hendry, refusing to pot a black for a 147, taking the pink on purpose when on an easy 147 chance, fist-bumping instead of handshakes and getting into trouble with referees. He's just the whole package. Once he decides to hang up his cue, snooker will take a huge hit.

SquaredCue

Post by SquaredCue »

Steve Davis! The Nugget!

It was in 1991, the Mita World Snooker Masters, when I first saw snooker and it was fascinating. Of all the great players around at that time and later, Davis was always my favourite. A few years later, I bought the Virtual Pool PC game on CD because it featured the first televised maximum break which Steve made on the Lada Classic tournament.

Steve made another remarkable maximum break, the first ever made in Hungary, when he visited Budapest in 1992. Unfortunately, I missed it in person but a poor quality recording is available.

I don't think his trickhots he used to perform on different events are spectacular but the commentary he gives for them makes the show very entertaining. For example, at his second visit to Budapest.

A legend!

The_Musician

Post by The_Musician »

My Fav Snooker player is....

Steven Hendry

i,ll play now over more than 40 years snooker, but for real...Not on a stupid computer.
Olso i,m referee...i know ALL the rules..

What Stephen Hendry did in his golden years, is so brilliant!
Last edited by The_Musician on Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZORRO

Post by ZORRO »

Alex Higgins was the best player to watch....he wasn`t the robotic player such as Davis or Hendry...but he invented shots on the spur of the moment, that other players wouldn`t dream of.
Plus we never actually saw Alex at his very best. as most of his early career wasn`t televised. Z

Wizard

Post by Wizard »

ZORRO wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:27 am
Alex Higgins was the best player to watch....he wasn`t the robotic player such as Davis or Hendry...but he invented shots on the spur of the moment, that other players wouldn`t dream of.
Plus we never actually saw Alex at his very best. as most of his early career wasn`t televised. Z
I hear where you are coming from there. Alex and Jimmy White came up with some amazing shots from ridiculous situations and got away with it.

Rappers

Post by Rappers »

I just about remember Pot Black now being 65 years old. If I recall correctly, it was on tv on a Wednesday evening, I used to visit my gran with my dad every Wednesday and she would give me a shilling - bless her.

My favourite player post PB was Jimmy White. I thought I would never see a more elegant and effortless cue action until a certain Mr. O'Sullivan came along. If only Ronnie had Jimmy's demeanor, what a combination that would be!

As for the GOAT - it has to be Ronnie with Hendry being a close second. However, Ronnie holds just about every snooker record that is worth mentioning. For the record, the most tournament wins, triple crowns, centuries, prize money and the highest percentage win rate 74.85% which is arguably the best metric for judging a players ability and longevity. Next best in Trump with 70.89%.