Free ball

Discuss anything...
sacko7

Free ball

Post by sacko7 »

Hi all,
I cannot find an explanation of "free ball". It was given to me, I took a shot and was fouled. Can someone please tell me where I can learn about this ?
Thanks

Juggernaut

Re: Free ball

Post by Juggernaut »

Edited:

Hi Sacko7,

ahhh, Wizard to the rescue!!! 8-)

Wizard

Re: Free ball

Post by Wizard »

sacko7 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:53 am
Hi all,
I cannot find an explanation of "free ball". It was given to me, I took a shot and was fouled. Can someone please tell me where I can learn about this ?
Thanks
Hi sacko7

I will try to give my best explanation of the "free ball" scenario with some examples

First here's the definition of a snooker...The description applied when a player cannot see a straight-line path between the cue ball and the ball that is “on”, because another ball that the player must not hit is obstructing the cue ball.

A "free" ball is awarded when the player is snookered (cannot directly hit any side of the target ball) after a foul shot has been played. In this situation the player can nominate any ball (including one they are technically snookered for if they wish) and pot it for the value of the original target ball. Play then proceeds as if they had hit the original target ball. If they nominate a colour as their free ball and pot it, the coloured ball is then returned to it's spot (if available...usual rules for re-spotting apply)

Examples:

1. Target ball is red but player is technically snookered for any of the remaining reds on the table. Player nominates a colour (yellow through black) and pots the nominated ball for a score of 1 (same value as target ball red). The colour is then returned to its spot (if available). Player then plays a colour (the same as if they had potted a red) and play proceeds red, colour, red, colour etc...

2. Only the colours remain and a foul is made leaving the opponent snookered for the next colour. Again a "free ball" is awarded. The opponent may pot any colour on the table for the same value as the target ball. That colour is then respotted and play proceeds as usual in colour order. So let's say all 6 colours are left on the table so the target ball is the yellow but you are snookered for it and have a "free ball". You can nominate and pot any of the other colours for the value of the yellow (2). The potted ball then returns to the table and you are then required to pot the balls in order (hence in this example yellow next) for their usual value.

3. Just to give another example let's say only pink and black remain but your opponent has fouled and left you snookered for the pink (obstructed by the black) with again a "free ball". You can nominate the black, pot it for 6 points (value of the pink), black is then re-spotted and you then play the pink followed by the black as usual.

Hoping that gives you an idea of what a "free ball" is and when the rule is applied.