Why is everyone SO much better (and luckier) than me?

Discuss anything...
RStarrett

Why is everyone SO much better (and luckier) than me?

Post by RStarrett »

I've just started SnookerQ, and I'm finding it very hard to play.
I know I'm doing it properly - or at least I feel like I am - but I'm getting nowhere and losing spectacularly every frame I dare to play.

It seems like there's a random element applied to the game that is heavily weighted against me at the moment. One such example was earlier today playing (I think I'm spelling it correctly) Khaan121 who, after taking pity on me, broke the reds and said "all yours", which was generous. You would assume I'd rack up a decent break from there...

Anyway I potted the red, then lined up a straight black that simply rattled around the jaws, bounced back out, and left the frame totally open for him. I didn't hit the black hard, I held shift to hit the centre of the cue ball, it was a straight shot that I'd pot with my eyes closed every time IRL, but it seems no matter what I do the game won't "allow" me to make any progress. It was a straight black that I hit *correctly* yet the randomness factor meant I was allocated a miss. Why? It's a computer game, and when I input some parameters I expect to see the result on the screen.

This is happening to me constantly, I'm losing every frame and my rating is dropping rapidly - it's demoralising. My opponents are knocking in long shots, tight cuts, canons, plants, the works... yet I'm not even allowed to sink a straight black. My highest break in practice mode is something like 89, but it's 14 when I play actual opponents because suddenly my cue doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing?

Please help, or advise, because I want to play this game but I feel like I'm playing against unseen forces, and I haven't even went near Demon.

BIG-G

Re: Why is everyone SO much better (and luckier) than me?

Post by BIG-G »

Hi RStarrett

These things don't happen overnight m8.

Are you playing club or pro?

Have you tried watching the tutorial videos and doing the tutorial tasks?

Keep on practising and you will see an improvement.

Most of all do not give up and enjoy your games.

Regards
G

SquaredCue

Post by SquaredCue »

Hello Rstarrett,

This is the shot you mentioned, isn't it?

Black lined up, error margins are wide
Black lined up, error margins are wide
rstarrett-black-miss.png (53.5 KiB) Viewed 2940 times
You can load and replay it with the following chat command:

Code: Select all

/replay sqrep://s/ipivSw.1.11
As the screenshot shows, the error margins are wide and this is because the white ball is not close to the black ball and, which is even worse, the white ball is quite close to the cushion, thus the cueing is awkward. It isn't even possible to screw back the white from this position without elevating the butt of the cue.

It is clear from the error margins that this is a tough shot, it will miss many times if you attempt the same shot repeatedly in practice mode.

The point of the game is to avoid tough shots like this by controlling the white ball position carefully. Avoid landing too close to the cushion or too far away from the object ball. Maneuver the white ball into a comfortable position, away from the cushions and away from hampering balls. In this case, when potting the red before the black, a better shot would have been to hit the white harder and with top spin like this:

Shot settings for a better position on the black
Shot settings for a better position on the black
rstarrett-good-shot-settings.png (109.12 KiB) Viewed 2940 times
This shot would have driven the cue-ball much closer to the black ball after hitting two cushions:

Better position on the black
Better position on the black
rstarrett-good-shot-result.png (40.54 KiB) Viewed 2940 times
From there, the next black would have been a certainty!

Why are other players better? Most probably because they think ahead by one or even more shots and they work hard to avoid tough shots. It takes a lot of practice and/or a lot of games to be able to find and select the correct shot. The right shot may be tougher than the obvious straight roll-in but it will lead to an easier next shot, from where it's easy to navigate on the next-next ball, probably having more choices. Snooker is a difficult game, only professionals players can make it look easy in real life. Here in SnookerQ, we have a growing number of players who can do the same in the game and you'll think this game is easy when watching them play. Well, the top class players would say it is too easy indeed but for us average players, it is quite hard and it gets easier only with a lot of practice and a lot of games. SnookerQ offers the joy for players on all levels. Some players will not want to think too hard, they are just happy with a few satisfying pots and there is nothing wrong with that. Other players will want to find ways of getting better and better. It takes time but it's very rewarding.

Enjoy your games!

RStarrett

Post by RStarrett »

SquaredCue - Yes, that's the one!

And wow I never realised it was that far away, I was probably so frustrated already by that point I didn't think enough about it.

My real issue is that I'm getting very few chances, and as soon as one is presented to me, I miss it - then I just sit and watch someone else play the game and have fun. I absolutely love snooker and really want to improve with SnookerQ, so I'll take my time and keep practicing.

ZORRO

Post by ZORRO »

SquaredCue wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:56 pm
Hello Rstarrett,

This is the shot you mentioned, isn't it?

rstarrett-black-miss.png

You can load and replay it with the following chat command:

Code: Select all

/replay sqrep://s/ipivSw.1.11
As the screenshot shows, the error margins are wide and this is because the white ball is not close to the black ball and, which is even worse, the white ball is quite close to the cushion, thus the cueing is awkward. It isn't even possible to screw back the white from this position without elevating the butt of the cue.

It is clear from the error margins that this is a tough shot, it will miss many times if you attempt the same shot repeatedly in practice mode.

The point of the game is to avoid tough shots like this by controlling the white ball position carefully. Avoid landing too close to the cushion or too far away from the object ball. Maneuver the white ball into a comfortable position, away from the cushions and away from hampering balls. In this case, when potting the red before the black, a better shot would have been to hit the white harder and with top spin like this:

rstarrett-good-shot-settings.png

This shot would have driven the cue-ball much closer to the black ball after hitting two cushions:

rstarrett-good-shot-result.png

From there, the next black would have been a certainty!

Why are other players better? Most probably because they think ahead by one or even more shots and they work hard to avoid tough shots. It takes a lot of practice and/or a lot of games to be able to find and select the correct shot. The right shot may be tougher than the obvious straight roll-in but it will lead to an easier next shot, from where it's easy to navigate on the next-next ball, probably having more choices. Snooker is a difficult game, only professionals players can make it look easy in real life. Here in SnookerQ, we have a growing number of players who can do the same in the game and you'll think this game is easy when watching them play. Well, the top class players would say it is too easy indeed but for us average players, it is quite hard and it gets easier only with a lot of practice and a lot of games. SnookerQ offers the joy for players on all levels. Some players will not want to think too hard, they are just happy with a few satisfying pots and there is nothing wrong with that. Other players will want to find ways of getting better and better. It takes time but it's very rewarding.

Enjoy your games!
"Most probably because they think ahead by one or even more shots and they work hard to avoid tough shots."
Yes, I`m always thinking 10 shots ahead. :D

RStarrett

Post by RStarrett »

I won my first frame earlier against a very patient player who invited me back even after I conceded the frame immediately on potting the "black then cue ball", which I know is bad form (and I feel awful about it) but I had just lost the previous frame to same player after what should have been a great shot - potted the black, canonned hard into the reds, the pack barely moved, I was left with nothing, and my opponent immediately commented "ul".

It all seems so tedious when it's going against you - I know those things CAN happen, but when it's ALL that is happening to you, it's pretty demoralising.

But whatever, amazing what a won frame can do for your morale.
I do apologise to jamiet[numbers] though.

ZORRO

Post by ZORRO »

Could be the start of something big!